Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Book of Self Creation by Jacobus Swart

It is very refreshing to read a book on Kabbalah with such a broad commentary of old and contemporary Kabbalistic thought. I find the Kabbalistic section of my mind is going through a spring clean of sorts and many preconceived ideas and concepts are being blown away or put properly in their place. I have many years of reading to put in order...

For example, I didn't realise that the Eits Ha'chaim, the Tree of Life glyph, was a relatively new invention and that it forms quite a small part of Kabbalah (like listening only to radio Tuks or Classic FM.) That Kabbalah sort of evolved out of Merkavah mysticism and that it was influenced by Gnosticism to a large degree. It is organic and I think I have a greater respect for it because it is evolving and organic.

I always find historical facts helpful in gaining a more objective perspective on something like Kabbalah. Just knowing about the various personalities that have contributed towards it as a system or even that set it back a little - like Rabbi Tzvi who gained a large following, proclaimed himself as the Messiah then converted to Islam. It helps to earth or ground it for me.

When exposed to the spiritual energies that practices such as Practical Kabbalah bring it is important to be able to recongise these people within ourselves. Kabbalistic methods can profoundly altar one's perceptions of oneself and the world around one. For example, when practicing Tikkun (Tikkun Olam = "repairing the world", Kabbalistic techniques for helping our planet on a spiritual level), what if I started to develop of Messiah complex? I would want to see the signs!

Anyway, these are some of my thoughts on the first chapter so far. Can't wait for tomorrow's class and chapter 2. Till then!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erik,
    just a quick comment on that typo : 'altar' instead of alter... and the comment about fixing the world..they come together for me

    apparently there is a meditation used by the Buddhist monks to transmute all the evil in the world..and it would be great, except that they take on themselves horrible things, and in next reincarnations they go through unimaginable terrors due to that earlier programming.

    so that's just my word of warning.
    cool blog otherwise

    keep it up duder
    M :D

    ReplyDelete